Copper Cable Splicer
Essential Functions Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Interprets construction prints and splices cables from end to end and terminates at both ends (backbone or laterals).
- Performs acceptance testing and documentation of newly installed cable.
- Performs cutovers of cable due to defects or to rerouting requirements without service interruptions.
- Positions weather proof closures and perform flash testing to ensure proper seals.
- Updates customers of entry to private properties to access cable facilities.
- Notifies customer representatives and/or customer inspectors of any road blocks or problems that may occur.
- Sets up traffic control when necessary according to local and state requirements.
- Uses appropriate equipment to test aerial cable and strand for foreign voltage and water for high pollution levels prior to pumping.
- Understands pressurized and non-pressurized splicing procedures of copper cable.
- Capable of using industry specific test equipment including TDR, OTDR, and Throwmasters.
- Knowledge of gas testing and ventilation procedures for confined spaces.
- Comfortable working in confined spaces and ascending/descending ladders and utility poles.
- Familiar with the proper types of material required for different customers.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and carry, maneuver, and set up a 28 foot extension ladder.
- Ability to work in various types of weather environments.
- The ability to communicate in person, via telephone, and in writing.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
Work Environment This job operates outside in a field construction environment. Work is performed outside of buildings and may include running cable underground. The job may require entering manholes or climbing poles to install cables. Appropriate personal protective equipment is required. Physical Demands This job has specific physical requirements detailed on the attached Physical Demands Checklist. Position Type and Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position with the opportunity for overtime. Due to the nature of our business, there will be occasions that require working after normal business hours including nights and weekends. Desired Minimum Qualifications Graduation from High School or GED Equivalent Valid CA Driver License 1 year experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to do the job. Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.